X-ray photoelectron spectrometry (XPS)
Surface of solids, incl. films, foils, sheets, powder, pellets, fibers, fabrics, etc.
- Sample size : > 0.3 mm x 0.7 mm
- Max. sample size: 30 mm x 60 mm x 19 mm
- Sampling depth : <~ 10 nm
- Sensitivity : 0.02 - 0.5 at %
Kratos Axis Supra+
- X-ray sources: monochromatic Al anode, Al/Mg dual anode tube
- Sampling area: normal: 300 µm x 700 µm; microspot: 120 µm, 60 µm, 30 µm
- Chemical State Imaging, max. resolution ca. 2 µm
- Variable take-off angle
- Depth profiling with argon ions (for inorganics) or argon cluster ions for low-energy sputtering of organic materials
- Concentration of elements (except for hydrogen and helium) at the surface
- Binding states of the elements, oxidation state, binding partners, functional groups
- Lateral and vertical distribution of these data
- Quality control for cleaning, activation, functionalization and coatings on surfaces
- Analysis of failures in adhesive joining, printing, coating, etc.
- Chemical analysis of coatings, adsorbate layers, surface contaminations, etc.
- Derivatization (labelling) techniques for the determination of functional groups on polymer surfaces
- Structural analysis of organic substances (e.g. substitution degree of polymers, composition of peptiden coatings)
Comparative and additional methods
- Fluorescence labelling (FL)
- Contact angle goniometry (CAG)
- Secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS)